5.02.2006

A Day Without Immigrants?

Personally, I didn't notice much of a difference yesterday during the supposed day without immigrants. Apparently the immigrants who work where I do didn't get the memo as they were all present, at least those who I see during my daily routine. We have several Hispanic immigrants who do custodial work. They were all there. On Mondays, Hy-Vee serves Chinese food in our cafeteria. The immigrants from Asia who serve the food were there. And yesterday was the first day of work for our new employee from Canada. She was at work as well. Now I do not know the legal status of the immigrants who work where I do, but I assume that they are in the country legally. Personally, I am all for immigration, if it is done legally. I do not understand why people who are in this country illegally feel that they should have the same rights as those who went about coming to the United States the proper way. That said, while I do not agree with their point of view, I do agree that they have the right to stage a boycott to get their point across. What I find interesting is that President Bush does not agree with boycotts. I wonder what he would prefer to see, violent riots as were seen in France a couple months ago perhaps?

4 comments:

Sara said...

President Bush doesn't like boycotts because he doesn't like dissent.

homercles said...

Are you referring to the Muslim riots or the riots over the law that made it easier for employers to fire people?

Aaron said...

I was referring to the riots about the law.

homercles said...

Oh, okay. Thanks.