5.06.2006

Seis de Mayo

Today is the sixth of May, but yesterday was Cinco de Mayo, which of course is the Mexican holiday celebrating the victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. And like all good Americans, my wife, a coworker of hers, and I headed out to Carlos O'Kelly's in Marion for dinner. After all, what could be more Mexican than that. After waiting an hour (I guess we weren't the only people who thought we should be celebrating this holiday which has absolutely nothing to do with us or our culture) we were seated. I am glad to say that our experience at this Carlos O'Kelly's was much better this time than it had been on our previous two visits. Of course, I ate way too much. I really should have had a smaller entree since I am traveling to Minnesota for work next week and therefore will be eating almost every night of the week. In addition to that, we have a wedding reception to go to tonight for a friend of mine who got married last month in China. But anyway, I never let the fact that a holiday is not relevant to me personally stop me from celebrating.

No comments: