5.27.2006

The UNI Hardee's

Posting this week's photo of the week has caused me to think about my days of working at the Hardee's in the Maucker union on the campus of the University of Northern Iowa. For most of the time I was a student at UNI, I worked at that Hardee's. There was a semester or two when I was fed up with it that I did not work there, but I kept going back. I don't know what it was about that place, but I had some good times working there. The thing that I think kept drawing me back was the people I worked with. Being a fast food restaurant we had a pretty high rate of turnover, and I'm sure having college students for employees didn't help, but there were quite a few employees who remained the same during the five years I was a student on the UNI campus.

A lot of people really disliked Julie, the manager, and at times, I have to say that I thought she could be a lot nicer, but overall, I enjoyed working with her. I wonder what she is up to. She had hoped to get a job at the Mayo Clinic when she finished up a program at UNI. When the UNI Hardee's location closed at the end of the 1999-2000 school year, she had the opportunity to finish up. Another person I worked with there who I liked working with was Mike. I think he is working for the dining services at UNI now.

Working at the UNI Hardee's during the summer was fairly fun. It wasn't too busy, except for when there was a summer orientation group on campus, and the hours weren't too bad. Because it wasn't too busy, we would sometimes watch an episode of Star Trek on the VCR in the office. Once the episode was over, Mike, Julie, and I would take the quiz from the Star Trek Quiz Book that I had. That was a lot of fun.

I was going to put a photo of the UNI Hardee's with this entry, but I can't find one. I am sure I took a photo of it at some time, but I can't locate it in my photo albums. If I find it this weekend, I'll probably add it to this post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I graduated in 1985 and I remember the Hardee's in Maucker Union very well. I thought it was cool that we had a fast food place in our union. Plus the fact that the union is a big hole in the ground.

Did they replace it with something else? I haven't been to campus in YEARS.

Nice to know a fellow Panther.
Nelle

Aaron said...

The University chose not to renew Hardee's lease at the end of the 1999-2000 school year. The union has been majorly remodeled. There are now multiple dining options in the union.