2.19.2006

My Mom

I’m worried about my mother. She called me about an hour ago, crying. She has been having a rough few days. On Friday she got her new job description at work. She is feeling that she is being underutilized at work and her boss has taken away the more enjoyable aspects of her job and assigned them to the new, inexperienced person in the office. She’d love to quit her job and retire, but she doesn’t know if the widow’s benefit she’d get from Social Security would be enough for her.

She has also been obsessed with looking at condos. She really doesn’t know what she wants to do. She is sure that my sister does not want her to move. I really don’t know how I feel about this. I want what’s best for her, but I don’t know what that is, and I don’t think she does either. I really do not want her to make a decision that she is going to regret.

Then this morning, one of the last hymns sung at church was one that was sung at my father’s funeral. With the stress and other feelings she’s been having lately, this was the final straw. I just wish there was something I could do to help her. I guess by talking to her on the phone, I was able to help some.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I am sorry your mom is having a difficult time. It sounds like a lot of things are happening or changing, but you can be a constant for her. She is just glad to have you in her life as someone she can count on.