2.11.2006

DAGOBAH

I had an interesting experience happen to me last week when I was on my way to pick up my new car. This past summer, I got personalizes license plates for my car which read DAGOBAH. I decided to get these plates because I wanted to get something related to Star Wars, but I didn’t want something that everyone would recognize. I have a Yoda collection, so I considered getting YODA put on my license plates, but that would have been too recognizable to people who are not fans of Star Wars. I thought that only people who were at the very least somewhat interested in Star Wars would know what Dagobah was – the planet that Yoda lives on when he is found by Luke Skywalker in The Empire Strikes Back. Maybe I picked something a little too uncommon.

Mel and I were stopped at a stoplight when I heard someone yelling at me from the car next to mine. I rolled down my window and the passenger of the car asked me what my license plate meant and how to pronounce it. I told him and even pronounced it a few times for him, but he couldn’t seem to get the pronunciation right. The last thing he said that he thought he’d name his next dog Dagobah, although he mispronounced it. While I thought I had picked a license plate that people wouldn’t understand, I never thought they’d ask me about it in the middle of the road!

No comments: