2.28.2006

Gambling at the Grocery Store

I see an Iowa House committee has approved a ban on the Iowa Lottery’s controversial TouchPlay machines. I agree that these machines, which seemed to just spring up everywhere overnight, may be a bit too prevalent. However, I don’t think a complete ban on the machines is necessary. Yes, it seems to be a bit much to see the machines at the grocery store or even at a convenience store, but when the machines are in places that minors do not have access to them, such as bars, I think they are fine. I have played the TouchPlay machines a few times. I actually won money from one once. It was in the bar area of a bowling alley. I think the machines are perfectly appropriate in an environment like that. One of the main complaints I have heard about these machines is children being exposed to them. This simply is not the case in bars. Sure, some bars which serve food allow accompanied minors in them, but in that case the children are with an adult who presumably would not let them use the machines. Besides, are other aspects of bars, such as the alcohol, any more appropriate for children? I guess we’ll just have to wait and see if the machines ultimately are banned or not.

No comments: