2.22.2006

Bringing Work Home

When I left teaching, I didn’t realize that I’d still be bringing work home with me. I haven’t brought home nearly as much work as I did when I was teaching, but it’s still an extension of my work day. I guess I didn’t realize other professionals brought much work home. The work I have to do is fairly easy though. I probably shouldn’t go into detail about it for fear of disclosing trade secrets, but the work I have to do tonight – which I also did Saturday morning – can be a little fun. Nonetheless, it is still work. This work is for a project other than the one I spend most of my time on usually. It’s a nice change of pace from what I have been doing. I am really hoping that the way my main project is going is not typical of most. If it is, I don’t know how long I will last in this job as the changes in the requirements of the project just cause everyone involved to get a bit testy.

I know I have said in the past that I enjoy my new job and that I am glad that I don’t teach anymore. I do enjoy aspects of my job and there are definitely aspects of teaching that I don’t miss, but sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision in leaving teaching. There are a lot of things I miss about teaching. First and foremost is the sense of doing something that makes a positive difference in someone’s life. Oh, I am still involved in helping to educate youth, just not directly. Maybe these doubts come from the fact that the project I am working on is very stressful at the moment. This is precisely why I made a commitment to myself to give the job a couple of years before seriously considering leaving. Of course, the longer I stay in this job, the harder it will be to return to teaching. The pay cut I would have to take only increases each year. I do think though that I need to give this job a fair shot before seriously considering leaving.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you miss your old job because you can't stop comparing your new one to the old one. Subconsciously, of course.

Sara said...

It is perfectly normal to think about all these things. Teaching is one of those things that either it is in you or it is not. You don't have to be necessarily 'teaching' in the traditional sense of the word to be making a difference. You care about education and keep it as part of your life, therefore, you are making a difference. It is hard to look at any job after teaching and consider it high stakes. I understand...for me, I can't believe that selling books is as important as teaching someone to actually read those books, but we all have to do something.

Anonymous said...

Don't even think about it. You're having that the grass was greener over there feeling again. Don't make me fly home and kick you in the ass. You know why you left teaching. That part is not going to change. Maybe if you want to make a difference in someone's life by teaching you should look at tutoring. And keep your current job.

Aaron said...

You are right of course Anna, and that's something I often realize when thinking about returning to teaching. It is something I am very, very unlikely to do.