11.07.2004

Partying and Movie Going

Last night my girlfriend and I went to the birthday party of a cousin of hers who was turning 16. We went to a local pizza place, but because there were so many people, we didn't get much pizza. We ended up going to McDonald's after the party because we were still quite hungry. Anyway, there were quite a few adults at the party as well as some young kids, and of course a fairly big group of teenagers since the birthday girl was 16. As one group of girls came in, another cousin of my girlfriend referred to them as "hookers in training" due to the way they were dressed, and it did seem appropriate. Some of them were barely wearing anything. Fortunately my girlfriend's cousin goes to the other high school in town, so none of the party goers were students of mine except for one, another cousin of my girlfriend.

After the party, we went to a movie with some friends of my girlfriend. After purchasing our tickets I heard someone call me over to them using my last name. That could only mean one thing, one of my students was in the theater. I looked over at a group of college-aged women and one of them said "hello" to me. It was a student I had four years ago when I taught at a small high school south of Iowa City. She looked familiar, but I didn't remember her name. She did tell me, and that did help me to remember her a bit more. It's usually nice to be recognized by former students. I also ran into a student from last year when we were at McDonald's. That made me think about the number of students who I have taught over the years that I have been teaching. I estimate that I have taught around 750 students in the seven or so years that I have been teaching. Anyway, we went to see The Incredibles and it was great! It was a really fun movie and I wouldn't mind seeing it again, although I'll probably wait for it to come out on DVD. Oh, and before the movie was the trailer for the new Star Wars movie.

No comments: