11.22.2004

Frustrating Day

I've been feeling a little frustrated with work lately. I enjoy teaching. I like helping students to learn. What has been so frustrating lately is the students who just don't care. That is one of the problems with teaching a class which is required for graduation. It's one thing if a student just doesn't do anything in class and doesn't bother anyone else, but it's completely different when a student interferes with everyone else's education by interrupting class. I have called parents, which was effective for a few days, and I've sent students to the office, which only has any effect if there are serious consequences from the administration. I guess I'll just have to begin repeatedly sending the same students out of class until they get the message that they will not be keeping others from learning!

Now, today is one of the days that makes making a decision about my job after this school year somewhat easier. I checked today and I noticed that the test development jobs that I have previously been contacted about are still open. At this rate, I am guessing that they may still be open in February which is when I plan on applying for them if I decided to go that route. The two companies that the jobs are with seem to act rather slowly in their hiring decisions.

I keep trying to think through the pros and cons of the career decision that I am trying to make. I have spoken with a former coworker of mine who left teaching at the end of the 2002-2003 school year. She had taught for three years and now works as a real estate agent. She has told me that she doesn't really miss teaching too much. She misses the kids, but that's it. There are a lot of other aspects of the job that she doesn't miss.

Anyway, I'll write more about that later. One of the cats just knocked down the Christmas tree. I'm going to see if I can figure out something so it doesn't fall down again. Hopefully nothing on it broke.

No comments: