11.04.2004

Angry Students

The last couple of days, listening to students talking, I have come to realize that many of the high school students I work with are truly angry about the outcome of the election. Some of them just can't believe the outcome. I'm not happy about how things turned out, but that's how it's going to be, so we'll have to deal with it. Homercles has made an excellent point that the Democratic Party really has skewed too far to the left. If they want to get back a broader base of support, they need to come back toward the ideals of mainstream America.

Related to the election, yesterday a student in one of my classes asked me who I voted for. I didn't answer him, but another student indicated that I had voted for Kerry. This had come up previously. I admitted that I had. He asked me how I felt about the outcome of the election and I indicated that I was not surprised. I had been kind of expecting Bush to win. This student then asked me why I voted for Kerry then if I didn't think he would win. I explained to this student that I based who I voted for on who I thought would be the better president, not on who I thought would win. This isn't an election for the homecoming queen or student government; this is the real thing with real consequences.

No comments: