11.10.2004

Parent-Teacher Conferences

Tomorrow and Friday I will be conducting conferences with the parents of my students, at least with those parents who show up. I am really looking forward to meeting with parents of some of my students. Unfortunately, it usually seems that the parents with whom I really need to speak with don't show up. These are the parents of students who don't do their homework, don't pay attention in class, or just don't show up for class often enough to know what's going on. So, after conferences are done on Friday, I'll probably end up making a lot of phone calls home, or if I can't get a hold of anyone, sending letters home instead. I'm also hoping the parents of the students with which I have behavior problems come to conferences. I think there is a good chance that many of them will come.

It's also nice meeting the parents of the students who do really well in class. One problem with meeting with those parents though is that I don't always have much to say. Their child is well-behaved, completes his or her work, does well on tests and quizzes, and seems to understand the material being taught. When they ask for suggestions on what they can do to improve, it can be very difficult to come up with something, since that are already doing so well.

Well, we'll see how things go. On the bright side, I don't have to be to work until 1:00 tomorrow afternoon. Of course, I do have to stay until 8:30. But afterwards, some of us teachers are having a conference of our own at a local drinking establishment.

No comments: