3.10.2007

Goodbye Grandpa

My grandfather passed away this afternoon. His health hasn't been all that great for the past several years. In fact, for several years now, whenever the phone has rung and the caller ID says it's my mom calling, I've been afraid that it was about grandpa. Ever since his ninetieth birthday a few weeks ago, his health has been declining.

My mom called me at work yesterday to tell me that she was headed to go see my grandparents and that grandpa was not doing very well at all. So when I got home from work yesterday, Mel went to visit them. Grandpa was pretty much out of it when we saw him at the nursing home where he's been for about a week and a half. I don't think he was really every aware that we were there. While I am sad, this was not at all unexpected, and my grandpa doesn't have to deal with the pain anymore. My grandma has been doing her best to try to take care of him the past few years, and that was very hard on her. Hopefully now she will be able to relax a bit and just worry about taking care of herself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry sweetie! My thoughts are with you.

Hugs!
Anna

homercles said...

When CC said you weren't coming over last night, I feared the worst. I'm sorry for your loss.