3.20.2007

An Early Arrival

We weren't expecting our baby to be born for another couple weeks, but things changed this morning when Mel's doctor told her she should get to the hospital. This was my week to drive for the carpool, so I had to gather the two others who rode to work with me so I could get back to Cedar Rapids from Iowa City. I had been thinking that I would start driving myself after this week in case Mel went into labor earlier than we thought she would, but I guess I didn't plan that out far enough ahead.

Anyway, once I dropped of my carpooling companions, I stopped by the house to pick up the digital camera and then I headed to the hospital. When I got there, Mel was lying in bed with a heart monitor hooked up to her, listening to the baby's heartbeat. She was pretty sure at that time that the baby would be coming fairly soon, and she was right. Our baby, Emma Mae, was born at 3:53 this afternoon, weighing 7 pounds 1 ounce and being 21 inches long. I can't believe the baby is finally here!

This first photo shows me holding Emma about 10 minutes after she was born.


Next, here's Mel holding Emma a short time later.

And finally, here's a photo of Emma sleeping this evening.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again!!

She looks adorable.

Later!
Ana

Matt said...

Congrats! What a cutie!

Sara said...

You are blessed! Congrats. She is beautiful. Good health to all.

The Publican said...

Wow man, congratulations! She looks adorable!

Make my cigar a Cohiba Robusto please. ;)