3.01.2007

Damn You Pachelbel!

My sister sent me an email with a link to a video on YouTube. The video is a rant by comedian Rob Paravonian. Apparently he was a cellist and loved all music on the cello, except for Pachelbel's Cannon in D, which is a horrible piece to play on the cello. It's just so dammed boring! I played the Cannon in D in high school orchestra and I have had a strong dislike for this piece ever since then. I'm just glad that my wife didn't want Pachelbel played at our wedding! Now after watching Paravonian's rant, I am afraid that I will hear the tune popping up in all sorts of places that I hadn't before!

1 comment:

The Publican said...

I recently heard an about the song Hook by Blues Traveler, which he mentions. The entire song is set to the Cannon harmony and the lyrics basically make fun of the listener saying how he can (and does) sing gibberish because your helpless to resist "the hook" because "the hook brings you back, on that you can rely".

It's true. The Cannon hook is used in numerous songs because it works. He must have hit on some magic harmony that people just are attracted to.