2.27.2009

Bad Drivers

This past week I have witnessed multiple bad drivers in my suburban Twin Cities community. The first was earlier this week when I was taking Emma to daycare. The entrance to the daycare center is on a curve, so I slowed down for the curve, as well as for the right turn that I would soon be making. Because of the numerous driveways for businesses on either side of the road, there is a turning lane in the center of the road. So as I began my turn, instead of slowing down as well, the driver behind me decided to use the turning lane as a passing lane. That is not an acceptable use of the turning lane!

Then this morning, after dropping Emma off at daycare I filled my car's gas tank. Afterwards, I was once again driving along this road which was somewhat snow-covered this morning. The speed limit on the road is 30 miles per hour, but just 25 miles per hour on the curve. After rounding the curve, I was accelerating back up to 30 miles per hour despite the snowy conditions. The road was not so snowy that it necessitated driving slower. Well apparently the guy in the truck behind me thought that driving 30 miles per hour in a 30-mile-per-hour zone on somewhat snowy roads was too slow, so he decided to use the turning lane as a passing lane. Not only that, but the driver of the car behind him decided to perform the same maneuver. I honked at the first of the two drivers to show him my displeasure with his illegal maneuver. I thought about signaling the same sentiment to the second driver using an alternate means, but I decided against it. I only hope that there is a police officer down the street, as there often is, to witness these two making their way down the road at speeds approaching 40 miles per hour!

No comments: