2.11.2009

Back to Iowa City

Today I was back in my Iowa City office for the first time since moving to Minnesota this past July. About a month ago, my manager asked a coworker of mine who also works from home in the Twin Cities and me if we would come down to Iowa City to meet our new manager when she was in the office this week. Since our organization is spread out between offices in three different cities--Iowa City, Iowa; Austin, Texas; and San Antonio, Texas--I figured I should take advantage of this opportunity while she was relatively close by. I met my fellow Minnesota coworker at a Starbucks in Eagan, and then we headed off to Iowa City. We arrived in the office just before noon, in time for lunch.

After lunch we each had our separate meetings with our new manager. I think the meeting went well. She wanted to know what I saw as ways I could grow professionally. She also wanted to know what concerns I have with my job. The only real concern I shared with her, in fact it is the major concern I have about work these days, is that lately I have not been really busy with work. It seems like I have a lot of free time. With the economy as it is right now, I have seen not being busy at work to be a major point of concern. I would hate to think I might get laid off. Now while I have not been all that busy lately, it is probably a very temporary situation which should end soon, so I really should not be too worried. However, worrying about things is something I am really good at.

This evening, my coworker and I met our manager, or rather our former manager, at Old Chicago in Coralville for dinner. We spent about two and a half hours there. We stuck around for as long as we did playing Buzztime Trivia. I actually won one of the rounds! That was a lot of fun.

Tomorrow morning we plan on heading back to Minnesota after eating breakfast. We should be leaving by 9:30.

No comments: