4.12.2006

Oil Change

My wife and I bought a brand new 2006 Saturn VUE in January. As I drive 30 miles to work every day, we have put just over 5,000 miles on it so far. I have yet to change the oil. With past vehicles I have owned, I had the oil changed every 3,000 miles. Well, sometimes I would go a bit longer, but not too much longer. I believe that I have heard the guys on Car Talk say that every 5,000 miles should be enough though. So, either way, I am thinking that the car may be due for an oil change.

However, the owner's manual for our new Saturn says that the car has a computer which analyzes engine temperatures and speeds. From that, the car determines when it needs an oil change. When it needs one, a light on the dashboard will come on. The owner's manual does say to get an oil change at least once a year, even if the light doesn't light up. I figure that if the car doesn't truly need an oil change, getting it done is just a waste of money, but the more and more I drive, the more I am bothered by not having the oil change. I think I will either go without an oil change until the light comes on or the end of the year, whichever comes first. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this?

How often should I change my car's oil?
Every 3,000 miles
Every 5,000 miles
When the "Change Oil" light comes on
Other (please leave a comment)
Free polls from Pollhost.com

2 comments:

homercles said...

I go three times a year myself. But then again, I only put on about 6,000 miles a year.

Anonymous said...

I tend to change my oil every 3000 or so. I find that my vehicle runs better and the milage improves. I also add a valve cleaner to my next full tank of gas.

BTW, I have a GMC Safari. I change my own oil and lube the chassey myself. Much cheaper than Jiffy Lube. Kind of off sets the cost of filling up the tank.
"Shiver"

Nelle