9.26.2004

My Civic Duty

Another thing that I did today was to cast my votes in the upcoming election. Because of changes in Iowa election laws, voters can vote up to 40 days prior to an election. As I posted earlier, I received my ballot in the mail on Friday. I filled it out and mailed it today.

On the local news the other night, someone at an election office (I don't remember which county) warned people of the danger of voting this early is that one may end up changing his or her mind after casting a vote, but before the election. Once the vote is cast, it can't be changed. This is a valid concern, but it isn't limited to voting early. One could decide, immediately after inserting a ballot into the machine at the polls, that he or she made a wrong choice, but again, it's too late to change it.

I have been confident in my decision about who I would be voting for, for a while now, so I see no reason to wait any longer. Now, maybe I'll get fewer phone calls from political campaigns.

Oh, Homercles, I'm sorry to say, but I decided not to vote for Ralph Nader.

No comments: