1.24.2007

Westdale Mall

The inevitable demise of Cedar Rapids’ Westdale Mall is growing even closer with the announcement today that Von Maur, one of the mall’s anchor stores, will be closing their location there for good next week. Today was the last day that one of the mall’s original tenants, Waldenbooks, was set to close, and my wife heard from her hairstylist that JCPenney is looking into finding a new location in town. If JCPenney were to leave the mall as well, I think that would be the end of Westdale Mall for sure. JCPenney is about the only reason I go to Westdale Mall anymore. There is much better shopping at Lindale Mall and in its immediate vicinity. I also find myself taking care of some of my shopping at Coral Ridge Mall in Coralville, since it is on my way home from work in Iowa City. I really hope Westdale Mall can be saved, but I really don’t see that. At least it’s fortunate that the Von Maur employees from Westdale Mall will be offered positions at the store’s Lindale Mall location or at their location in Iowa City.

No comments: