1.20.2005

VoIP

I got a mailing from Best Buy today advertising broadband telephone service. It's something that I have thought about for a while now, but switching from a technology that I have been using most of my life to something relatively new is somewhat scary. I am fairly comfortable using the telephone as I have it now. I am a bit nervous about switching to an Internet-based phone service. For one, if the power goes out or if my Internet connection goes down, I would be unable to use my phone line. Of course, I would still have my cell phone in the event of either of those two situations. This brings me to another issue, getting rid of the phone line altogether. I know several people who do not have a land-line phone. My sister is one of those people. She seems to get by just fine without a standard telephone line. Once again, I just feel more comfortable with a regular telephone. I'll probably just keep the status quo. I'm not one who lives for change. However, if anyone reading this has any experience with broadband phone service or living with a cell phone only, I'd be interested in reading what you have to say about it.

No comments: