1.17.2005

Happy MLK Day

I hope everyone is having a happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Since I have the day off from work, I have been somewhat productive around the house today. I tried out my new Shop-Vac to sweep the concrete floors of my basement. I also cleaned the furnace filter and washed the shower curtain. As I didn't have to work today, I also went out to lunch. I only went to Burger King, but it was still going out, none the less. While I was in the drive through line, I thought about the poor employees who had to work at the drive through windows. With temperatures around 0 degrees, it would not be fun working in those positions. In the years that I worked at a fast food restaurant, I only worked at one with a drive through window in the summer, so I didn't have to deal with such cold weathers. Actually, I did work at such a restaurant during winter break when I was in college on winter, but it wasn't this cold.

Thinking about working in such cold makes me glad about one decision I made while I was in college. During one summer, I considered taking a semester off from school to figure out what exactly I wanted to major in. I spoke about this to the manager of the Hardee's restaurant I worked at during the summer and she talked me out of it. She told me that she had done, or rather had intended to do, the same thing. However, the semester off turned into two semesters, then three, and so on. She never went back to finish her degree.

The manager who I worked for during the school year when I was in college. Told me once that if teaching didn't work out, I would make a good restaurant manager. A couple years ago when teaching didn't seem to be working out too well for me, I even sent in my resume for a management position with a quick service restaurant. While I may have made a good restaurant manager, I don't think this is a career path that I really ever wanted to take. I noticed that the manager who I worked for while I was at UNI left the business as soon as she could. All the time that I worked there, she was going to school to do something else, which I presume she is now doing.

No comments: