1.19.2005

Back to School

Yesterday was the first day of the second semester of the school year. I wish I could say that the school year were half over, but that won't be true until today is over. Anyway, I enjoy the beginning of a semester. It's a fresh start for the students as far as their grade goes. However, for those students who I had first semester, they still have to live with the impression that I have of them. Now I try not to pass judgment on any student and despite what one of my students said the other day, I do not "hate" any of them. Of course as a human being there are students who get on my nerves. This semester I decided to make a change to my grading. Part, a very small part, of their grade will be for participation, which includes bringing their materials to class, especially their textbooks. I don't see what's so hard about that, but yesterday only about half of my students actually brought their books to class. So, what I am doing is giving each student 100 points, this will amount to a small percentage of the total number of points they receive. Each time they don't bring their books, I'll be deducting five points from them. I also decided that if a student is participating in class in a way which is disruptive to others, then they will also lose some points. I had one student yesterday who apparently wanted to test that and I must say that he is already missing a few of those 100 points.

No comments: