1.28.2005

RAGBRAI Route

The Des Moines Register has released the overnight towns for this year's RAGBRAI. We'll be traveling across the northern part of the state this year, starting in Le Mars, the home of Blue Bunny Ice Cream. Yum. On Sunday we'll be riding to Sheldon which has a population of just under 5000. With around 10,000 cyclists staying the night, we'll more than triple their population for the evening. Then on Monday we'll be going to Estherville. We stayed there overnight a couple of years ago. Actually, some of my fellow cyclists and I went to the house of a relative in southern Minnesota for the night, but we did stop there. Tuesday night we'll be in Algona, followed by Northwood on Wednesday, Cresco on Thursday, and West Union on Friday. We'll be ending the ride on Saturday in Guttenberg.

I really hope that I can make it on the entire ride this year, but as I've said earlier, I may not be able to if I start a new job this summer. Hopefully I'll be able to make it on the last three days however. That will make for a pretty difficult ride the last day or two as northeast Iowa is pretty hilly near the Mississippi River, and I won't have several days of 60-plus-mile rides to get ready for the hills. If I would be able to do the entire ride, it would be much easier as the first several days will be fairly flat. Well, if I can't do the whole ride this year, there's always next year.

Just a reminder everyone, the registration deadline is April 1. That's no joke!

No comments: