10.09.2004

Last Night's Debate

First of all, I have to say that I only caught the very end of the presidential debate last night as I went to a high school football game instead of staying home to watch it. If I had not left after the band's half-time performance and instead stayed to watch the remainder of the game, which my team lost 37 to 0, I would have missed that as well. One question that I did see was the one in which John Kerry was asked about abortion. After Senator Kerry responded to the question, President Bush started out with a quip about how it was difficult to decipher what Kerry had said. It seemed pretty clear to me. Anyway, Bush mentioned that Kerry had voted against the ban on so-called "partial-birth" abortions. In his response, Kerry explained his reason for that vote in that it did not include an exception for cases in which the woman's life or health were at risk. George Bush then replied that one either has to be for or against partial-birth abortions, and since John Kerry voted against the ban, he must not be against it. It seems to me that either George Bush chooses to selectively listen to John Kerry's comments, only picking up on the points that make his point, which in this case was a small part of what Kerry said, or he just can't process and completely comprehend the comments of others. Right now I am wishing that I had recorded the debate so I could watch it today.

No comments: