10.29.2004

Bye Bye Herky

It's quite a shame. The Herky on Parade exhibit in the Iowa City area has ended, about one month earlier than planned. The reason for the statues being taken down was because of the recent incidents of vandalism to the artistic representations of the University of Iowa mascot. I just don't understand people who feel the need to destroy others' hard work. What satisfaction could anyone possibly get out of doing such a thing? It just boggles my mind. While I was living in the Iowa City area this summer, I had the chance to see many of the statues around town and it helped me develop some pride in the fact that I am a former student of the University of Iowa, even though I finished my undergraduate degree elsewhere.

In thinking about the vandalism of these pieces of art, I am also reminded about the senseless theft of computer parts at the school I teach at. In one of the computer labs, some mouse balls have been taken, as well as keys from keyboards! What the hell is someone going to do with those? Also, a student had stolen the stapler from my desk and rolls of tape from my tape dispenser. It's bad enough taking the tape, but he (and I am pretty sure who took those although I have no evidence) also took the part the roll of tape is fit on to. Now the dispensers are practically useless. I don't know if replacement parts are sold for tape dispensers, so I'll probably have to end up getting a new one altogether. At least the tax credit for teacher supplies (up to $250) has been reinstated for this tax year.


No comments: