10.11.2004

Feeling Good

I am really feeling good about myself. As I've said before, I have been watching what I have been eating since Memorial Day. Since then, I have lost 33 pounds. Until the last few weeks, I lost, on average, about two pounds per week. Now that has dropped off a bit. In the past three weeks, I only lost one pound. I hope to resume exercising again soon. I haven't been biking since mid-August. If I get back into exercising, I should be able to lose a little more weight. I would like to lose another ten pounds, then I would a bit happier. Anyway, I've had coworkers mention that I look good from losing the weight. Quite frankly, I don't really see the loss. I suppose that is because it was gradual to me, but until the school year began, my coworkers hadn't seen me since the first of June. Today, a student who I had for class last year asked me if I had lost weight. I am really happy that people are noticing my weight loss!

Another compliment I received today was from the teacher in charge of the ELL (English Language Learners) program at school. She told me that two people, one student and one associate who translates, told her that I do an excellent job explaining what I teach. She was told that of the math teachers that these two have worked with, each of them feel that I am the best at doing this at my school. Part of this is probably because I actually have a degree in the subject in which I teach. We have math teachers at my school who have degrees in other areas instead, but having completed a program in mathematics gives one a deeper understanding of the subject. With that understanding, it's a lot easier to explain why things are the way they are and to show how they are connected to other topics in math. After receiving this compliment, it makes it harder to decide if I am going to continue teaching when the year ends.

No comments: