8.30.2009

I Love a Parade

The Woodbury Days parade was today, and since the parade route runs right by my sister's condo, Mel, Emma, and I drove over there this morning. We got to my sister's place almost an hour before the parade was scheduled to begin, so we hung around inside for a while. Shortly before the beginning of the parade, my aunt and her grandson arrived at my sister's condo as well. The six of us then all went to the street to stake out a location from which to view the parade. It was a pretty long parade; I think there were one hundred entries.

There were of course supporters of politicians in the parade. Emma, my two-year-old daughter, got a sticker from one of the DFL candidates. Later on during the parade, the supporters of Michele Bachmann, representative from Minnesota's Sixth Congressional District, were coming by. Emma kept holding out her hand for one of the Bachmann stickers, however I kept pulling her hand back. When the people came over to ask if we wanted some Bachmann stickers, I told each of them that we did not want any. They even asked my sister, who was wearing her shirt with the word "Liberal" on it, if she wanted one. She also refused the sticker.

There were several costumed characters who were walking along the parade route, including a giant bottle of shampoo representing Great Clips, and part of a spine representing a chiropractic office, but my favorite mascot in the parade was Petey P. Cup (shown here), spokescup for HealthPartners. He was accompanied by his partners Pokey the Syringe and Pearl E. White. We had a great time at the parade, but I think we may have gotten a bit too much sun.

No comments: