8.30.2009

The State Fair

Yesterday, Mel, Emma, my mother, and my sister all went to the Minnesota State Fair. We got there around 10:30 in the morning. Our first stop upon arriving at the fair was the Dairy Barn. There we watched one of the finalists for Princess Kay of the Milky Way being carved in butter. We also enjoyed some ice cream.

After that we checked out several of the animal exhibits, starting with the Miracle of Birth Center where we saw some baby ducks and pigs. We also saw some pregnant cows and sheep. Emma tried to pet a baby pig, but she seemed a bit scared when the touched it. We also checked out the cows and pigs at the fair.

After checking out all of those animals, we made our next food stop of the day. We had Australian potatoes, which were deep fried, battered, potatoes covered with cheese sauce and ranch dressing (shown in the first photo). Mel and I probably would have been better off splitting a single order instead of each having our own. But now we'll know that for next time.

Next we went through the Horticulture building and saw some giant produce. We also checked out some art made from seeds, including a piece of art depicting President Barack Obama's birth certificate, telling the birthers basically to get a life.

We looked at a few other exhibits before searching out some additional food. I tried Axel's nacho dog. I don't recall if that was the actual name for the item or not, but I think that's what it was. Anyway, it was Tex-Mex beef in a corn batter and deep fried, dipped in a cheese sauce and topped with lettuce, tomato, olives, and jalapenos. I believe it was a new item this year. I really hope it is back for the state fair next summer as I thought it was really good.

Mel got tired fairly early, so after this meal, she, Emma, my mom, and I decided it was time for us to leave. We ended up waiting almost forty-five minutes for the shuttle to take us back to our car, but we eventually got there. I think we got home between 4:30 and 5:00. I had a really good time at the Minnesota State Fair, hopefully next year we will be able to stick around longer though.

No comments: