1.10.2008

Washington, D.C., Tour

This evening, a few coworkers and I took a tour of Washington, seeing several of the memorials that are located in the District of Columbia. I really wish I had brought the tripod for my camera along. That would have helped out quite a bit at getting good photos in the dark. As it was, I did not bring the tripod, so a lot of the photos I took are a little blurry.

The first stop on our tour at which we could get off the bus was at the White House. It was after I took a couple pictures of the White House that my camera's memory card developed an error, requiring it to be reformatted. Fortunately the only photos I lost, besides those I had just taken of the White House, were very bad photos of the Capitol Building that I took from the tour bus. After reformatting the card, I was able to get another photo of the White House.

The next stop on the tour was at the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. I was amazed at how big the memorial was when I walked into it. Sure, I knew it would be big, but I just felt dwarfed by its size. Shown below is the bronze statue of Thomas Jefferson which is inside the memorial.

We then stopped at the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial before going to the Lincoln Memorial. It was raining pretty hard when we were there. I was soaked! Here is a photo of the statue of Abraham Lincoln inside the memorial.

Near the Lincoln Memorial, were the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the Korean War Veterans Memorial. I took a photo of the Three Servicemen Statue at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Of all the memorials we visited on our tour. I felt that the most moving memorial was the Korean War Veterans Memorial. The photos I took of it can not do it justice. The dark, rainy night gave the memorial a particularly haunting feel. Below is a photo of a statue from the memorial and part of the wall that is engraved with photos of soldiers.

I really must tour Washington, D.C., some time during the day when I can better see some of the sights. It would be nice if Mel, Emma, and I could come here on vacation some day to see all of the historical sights that there are to see.

No comments: