7.15.2007

One Week

One week from now I will be sitting outdoors somewhere in Spencer, Iowa, having completed the first day of RAGBRAI XXXV. In order to train some more this weekend, Mel and I took Emma to Mel's aunt's house in Robins Saturday morning, so we could both go on a lengthy bike ride. We rode for a couple of hours before we returned to pick Emma up. We went out again today for a shorter ride. Since we had Emma with us, we had to take turns riding while the other of us walked, pushing Emma in her stroller.

On a more serious note, the mother of a good friend of mine passed away early Saturday morning. She had been suffering from cancer for several months. I'd like to think that I can relate to what my friend is going through since I lost my father just over two years ago, but everyone is different with how they deal with loss. Also, with my father it was completely unexpected, but she had known that this was coming. Either way, dealing with the loss of a parent is tough. And to make matters worse, she isn't returning to Cedar Rapids until tomorrow night, after the visitation at the funeral home begins, since she had to book a flight back from Las Vegas. Mel and I will wait until she gets back to attend the visitation so we can extend our condolences to her in person.

No comments: