7.25.2006

RAGBRAI XXXIV Days 1 through 3

I'm writing this post to my blog from a Iowa Telecom trailer in Waukee. I'd post some photos with this blog entry, but I don't want to mess with plugging my camera into the computer. With is attached to the table, it's hard to reach the USB ports.

Anyway, I thought I'd update everyone on how my first few days of RAGBRAI have gone so far. We had a long bus ride from Cedar Falls to Sergeant Bluff on Saturday. We had to stop twice for repairs. The first time coincided with our lunch in Fort Dodge. The generator, which we haven't yet used, was leaking some oil. We spent an hour or so getting it fixed. Then later, we stopped in the western Iowa town of Early to fill the water tanks on our bus. It was then that we discovered a leak in the hose for the shower. We spent an hour or so there as well. Fortunately, we were parked at Crossroads Restaurant and Lounge. We spent some time enjoying margaritas and other adult beverages as the hose was being replaced. We did eventually get to Sergeant Bluff by 5:00. A couple of other members of our team and I made the mistake of going to dip our bike tires in the Missouri River. After riding five miles, three of which on very bad gravel and sand, we got to the river. We then got to repeat the trip to get back to our campground.

Sunday morning, some of us departed from Sergeant Bluff around 6:15. Our ride took us through the towns of Bronson, Anthon and Battle Creek. I had been told that this would be one of the hardest days on the ride, but it wasn't too bad. The nice tailwind we had throughout the day made out eastward journey fairly easy, despite the hills. I arrived in Ida Grove by 11:30 a.m.

While Sunday wasn't bad, Monday was brutal! We had strong headwinds most of the day. Our only respite from the wind was for the brief parts of the ride when we headed east, and by then we were so exhausted that I didn't feel much difference. The hills were just as bad as the day before, but the wind made it so much worse. On Monday we passed through only three towns, Boyer (which was barely a town), Arcadia, and Manning, before arriving in Audubon. The 77-mile ride took us from 6:00 until 3:30 p.m.!

Today was much better. Despite being hilly as well, we didn't have a headwind. I was able to make it to Waukee by 1:00. The bus however, didn't arrive until after 3:00! Needless to say, some of our team were quite upset. Hopefully the bus arrives before us tomorrow.

I may post some more later in the week if I get the chance. I'll also put up some photos once I get back home.

No comments: