7.28.2006

Hot and Humid

Today's ride from Marengo to Coralville was fairly easy, but it was pretty hot and humid. I left our campsite shortly before 6:00 and was in Coralville by 9:35. The only really challenging part of today's ride was a steep hill going into Cosgrove. That hill was awful! To make it worse, we had to turn before going up the hill, so we lost much of the momentum that we already had. I only stopped once today. That was for breakfast in Williamsburg, where I had some breakfast pizza.

Tonight we are staying at the house of one of my coworkers, and the hospitality is fantastic! Her husband picked up a keg of Bud Lite from Hy-Vee, and they even cooked dinner for us. I did not partake of the dinner because my wife came down from Cedar Rapids to see me. We went across town to dinner so we could avoid the crowd from the RAGBRAI riders. I can't wait to see her again tomorrow morning when she picks me up in Muscatine.

Here are some photos I have taken so far on the ride. Once I get home I am going to fix them up so they load faster.

The first photo is of the Superior Hawgs team bus as we are loading it in the parking lot of the UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls.

Superior Hawgs bus
Here I am dipping the rear tire of my bike in the Missouri River near Sergeant Bluff.

Tire dipping in the Missouri River

The Cookies Barbeque Sauce guy was cooking up food in one of the towns on Tuesday. I think it was Redfield.

Cookies BBQ guy
Here's Lance Armstrong as he spoke in Newton on Wednesday.

Lance Armstrong in Netwon, Iowa
Riders were encouraged to wear yellow on Thursday in honor of Lance Armstrong and the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

Yellow jersey day

3 comments:

Brent said...

I had to go to Cedar Rapids today for a meeting and encountered the RAGBRAI riders near Williamsburg at I-80. I had the A/C running on high and thought about all of you. Team bus after Team bus was headed eastbound!!

Sara said...

I am going to email soon with all of my Ragbrai questions. I am seriously thinking about training and getting into Ragbrai shape to do it next year.

Sara said...

Aaron,
I tried to email you but your profile email address was sent back to me. Could you email me at saraleann76@yahoo.com so you could shower your wisdom upon me regarding Ragbrai??? ;)