3.22.2006

To the Doctor

I guess the third time is the charm. I finally made it to the doctor today. As you may recall, my January appointment was rescheduled to February. That appointment was then rescheduled to this afternoon. Once I saw the doctor, the appointment went by pretty quickly. He thinks I am in good health from what he saw today. I did have some blood drawn so they can check my cholesterol level, but I think that will be alright. My wife has been concerned about my health ever since my father had his heart attack this past June. The doctor thinks I only need to come in to see him (actually, I’ll have to see someone else as he’s leaving the practice soon to take a position at one of the local hospitals) every other year or so.

He is performing one test on me besides checking my cholesterol level though. While he was looking into my throat, he asked me if I snore. My wife has told me that I do. In fact, she once threatened to make me sleep in a different room so she could get some sleep. So tonight, I am taking a nocturnal oximetry test. I have to wear a sensor on my fingertip while I sleep. It is going to record the amount of oxygen in my blood to see if I get enough oxygen during my sleep. My father had sleep apnea, so I would not be too surprised if I have that condition as well. That could explain why I often feel quite fatigued during the day, even if I get plenty of sleep. I guess I will soon find out if this is my problem.

Now on to other things, the past few weeks have not been a good week for me when it comes to customer service. A couple of weeks ago, I reported here about a problem with my Sears charge account which was not fixed to my satisfaction. Then last week, I had a problem with my Dell computer. I was passed around from person to person and then while I was on hold to speak with a third person, I solved the problem on my own.

Late last week I began having problems with my McAfee anti-virus program. I was getting a message that my subscription to updates had expired, but I just purchased the program this past December. After spending 45 minutes chatting online with their technical support, the problem seemed to be fixed. Then a couple of days ago, the spam filter stopped working. I got a message that it was not installed, but when I tried to reinstall it, I got a message that it was already installed! In trying to fix that, I accidentally uninstalled my anti-virus program. After reinstalling it, I began having the same problems as last week. I think I am just going to give up and switch to Norton. I ended up getting the most recent version of McAfee free after rebates, so I will not be out anything on that.

Now I have been having problems with my domain name registrar. I have my own domain name which I use for a web site as well as for my email. It is set to expire next month, so I decided to switch to a different registrar who is less expensive than my current one. I have been trying for the past couple of days to get an authorization code from my current company. It should have been emailed to me, but I never received the email. I guess I will have to try yet again tomorrow.

No comments: