7.18.2009

RAGBRAI XXXVII - The Trip to Council Bluffs

This morning Mel dropped me off at the Superior Hawgs' bus in Evansdale. We have a lot of newcomers with the group this year and very few returning riders. It took us a bit longer to load than I expected it would. We were supposed to leave at 8:00, but it ended up being 9:30 before we hit the road.

The drive to Council Bluffs was fairly uneventful. We stopped for lunch at Hickory Park in Ames. It was very busy there, so we got our meals to go and just ate outside before reboarding the bus and getting on our way. There was one incident on our journey that did make it a bit more exciting for usual. As we were passing through a very small town, I suddenly heard the bus driver shout out "oh shit!" When I looked up, a car was heading right toward us in our lane. Apparently he was being a bit impatient and decided to pass a few other cars while we were coming. We swerved onto the shoulder as did some of the cars in the other lane. The dumbass driver then just kept going.


After getting the tent set up in Council Bluffs. I rode over to the pedestrian bridge which crosses the Missouri River. They were pumping water over the deck of the bridge to serve as an alternative to dipping the bike tires in the Missouri River. The bridge was really cool.

I met my sister at the bridge. We started out on a ride to find the house that my grandmother used to live in in Council Bluffs, but it was a bit farther than we anticipated and we ended up returning to our camps.


After returning to our camps, we headed over to the bike expo to check things out (and to blog). We plan on entering going to Council Bluffs' Rib Fest where we will eat dinner and then see the Barenaked Ladies perform. I'll be sure to blog about that tomorrow, or whenever I get back on a computer.

On our way through the campground, we saw this setup of tents. This is a group which provides the tents for their riders and sets them up for them. I just wonder how hard it would be to find one's tent when stumbling back in the dark after having a bit to drink.

I would like to close by thanking Iowa Telecom for the excellent Internet access they provide during RAGBRAI.

No comments: