7.22.2009

RAGBRAI XXXVII - A Nice, Short Day

As I said in my last blog posting regarding RAGBRAI. Last night I met my sister and her friends in downtown Indianola. While we were there, we got our photo taken with an old friend of Rebecca's, a Dairy Queen cone.



Today was a much nicer day to ride than the previous days this week. The temperature was fairly nice. I think it probably got up to the eighties today. Also the hills were not as bad. And to top it all off, the day was short coming in at around 44 miles!

Our first stop of the day was in Sandyville where we had French toast and sausage for breakfast. We then made a stop in Milo where their theme was based on the TV show M*A*S*H. Here Jen, Rebecca, and I are pictured with person in a ten-foot-tall inflatable army man costume.


After our time in Milo, we continued down the road to Lacona. In Lacona we ran into Robin and Captain America. These two are on their first RAGBRAI. They were only wearing their costumes today.


We also had a lunch stoping in Lacona. We went to Rudy's Rendezvous where they had the most amazing tacos for a bar! Since it was such a short day, Rebecca and I also decided to have a beer since they were serving Flat Tire in addition to Bud and Bud Light. This was also the only town I have been to on RAGBRAI where they were actually encouraging us to take beer out of the beer garden. They had some music set up across the street and people we wandering over there with their adult beverages. There will be a picture coming of this once I return home.

Our next stop was for Beekman's Homemade Ice Cream. The line was long, much longer than yesterday, but it was worth the wait. While we were getting off our bikes, an 84-year-old man who was riding RAGBRAI fell off his bike. We helped him out. Fortunately he was alright.


Less than an hour after leaving the ice cream stop, we were in Chariton. We haven't eaten dinner yet, so any details about that which I feel I need to blog about will be in tomorrow's posting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out. We loved the pic! - Robin

Aaron said...

You are quite welcome.