7.02.2009

Finishing the Bathroom

Last summer, while Mel and I were on RAGBRAI, we had some work done in our bathroom. We had just moved into our house that July, and the bathtub we had was somewhat disgusting, so we had some plumbers replace the bathtub with a new one. They also replaced the sink. Well, installing the new shower surround involved cutting away some of the drywall around the shower surround so they could fasten the new surround to the studs. Being that they were plumbers though, their work ended with the plumbing. So the gap around the tub has been exposed for nearly a year. Also, there have been two different types of flooring in the bathroom since a vanity was removed. (The photo of the floor, the third photo, is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise from how it should be. I am unable to change that.)

A few months before selling out house in Cedar Rapids, we actually had made similar changes to the main bathroom there. Of course this was before we had any idea that we would be moving, otherwise we probably would not have done as much as we did. But when we had the wall patched around the tub there, it cost us a little over $500, if I remember correctly. I decided it would be worth the money to tackle this job myself.

So today, I took most of the day off from work and began patching the holes in the wall. It was a little difficult to get the drywall cut to exactly the correct size, but I managed to do alright. The bathroom definitely won't look like it was done by a professional, but I think it should be adequate. Besides, most people won't see inside the shower anyway since the shower curtain is usually closed.

I am currently waiting for the joint compound around the showed to dry so I can sand it and apply more. Hopefully I can apply the texture to the new drywall tomorrow morning and maybe paint later in the day. Then we can replace the floor. Hopefully we can get this all done this weekend.



No comments: