7.22.2009

RAGBRAI XXXVII - A Long and Hilly Day

I did not have a chance to blog last night, so as I arrived in Chariton today, I stopped at the Iowa Telecom trailer before going to camp so I could blog about Tuesday's RAGBRAI ride.

The day started out pretty cool, and while Rebecca, Jen, and I were eating cinnamon rolls at the Orient-Macksburg High School in Orient, it began to rain. The rain plagued us for a good part of the day before it finally gave way in the afternoon.


While the cinnamon roll in Orient was quite large, I did not find it to be a sufficient breakfast, so when we stopped in Macksburg, I decided to have the best possible thing for breakfast, a half-pound tenderloin. It was quite a yummy sandwich despite the fact that it was only around 8:30 in the morning.


Before leaving Macksburg, we had to stop to watch the skillet tossing. The participants got to toss two skillets at a mannequin with a basketball for a head. The goal was to knock the basketball off. I am not sure what prize, if any, was given to those who were successful. The photo below shows a guy who was riding a bike in a banana costume try the skillet toss.

Much of the ride today was in Madison County, the Iowa county famous for its bridges. Since we were passing through the area, I thought I should take some photos of the bridges of Madison County. Below is one of the many bridges in Madison County. This one however, is not one of the famed covered bridges, but rather just an ordinaty bridge.


I was not going to let that first bridge deter me on my quest to see the famed bridges of Madison County. The next thing that gave me hope on the day was the Covered Bridge Arena. However, it still was not really a covered bridge. In fact, it wasn't a bridge at all.

There were signs all throughout the county mentioning that the county has covered bridges, but we had yet to see one. My hopes were up when the town of Saint Charles had a mini covered bridge on the main street through town. Nevertheless, it was not a true covered bridge.

Finally, just on the outside of Saint Charles, Rebecca and I spotted a covered bridge, and here it is.

Tuesday was a fairly long and chilly day, but I made it to the end and felt pretty good once arriving in Indianola. I went to Hy-Vee for dinner with some of the Superior Hawgs, a former Hawg, and two Hawgs who couldn't make it on the ride this year, eating way too much at the Chineese buffet. That is one delicacy that I miss not having a Hy-Vee near home.

A group of us checked out the beer garden later in the evening. It was a pretty big party. We didn't stay too long though, but still had a great time.

No comments: