5.21.2009

Visit at Daycare

Yesterday I made a visit to Emma's daycare to help out with their WonderWalk, an activity they did to help raise money for March of Dimes. When I arrived at 10:00, Emma came running up to me and wanted to go to the car. I told her that we weren't leaving though, and I sat in a chair at one of the tables in her classroom. She sat on my lap, and a couple of her classmates came up to me and started talking to me.

Shortly after my arrival, all of the children lined up at the classroom door and we all headed outside. The first activity they did was to throw water balloons through hula hoops that were attached to the fence. The kids enjoyed that, especially when the balloons broke. The next activity was to involve playing with a parachute outside with little toy animals on it. However it was extremely windy, so handling the parachute was quite difficult. It practically turned into a kite! The children all played on the slide on the playground where they were. It was the bigger kids' playground, so the slide was bigger than the one they usually play with. They all seemed to have a lot of fun.

We then went inside where the children divided into three groups to do different activities. They included drawing on a spot which they then attached to a large picture of a giraffe. Another activity was "feeding a monkey" by throwing yellow beanbags at a drawing of a monkey attached to a box. The third was making necklaces out of yarn and Fruit Loops. The groups rotated among the three activities. Emma really enjoyed all of the activities.

I really enjoyed seeing Emma interact with her classmates. I usually don't get to see much of that. On the days I pick her up, she usually runs to me as soon as I arrive. It was good to see her playing with the other kids and even using some of their names. I had a good time helping out and hope I have other opportunities to participate in activities at her daycare in the future.

No comments: