7.30.2008

Getting Things Together

The past couple of days I really feel that I have been getting things done to straighten up the house, doing my part to make it more livable. When we decided to buy the house we are now living in, we thought we would make the largest of the three bedrooms upstairs our bedroom. However, once we moved in, we soon realized that the room would be way to crowded once the king-size waterbed was set up in it, so we decided to make the main living area of the basement into our bedroom. There was one problem with this in that there was no closet in the basement in which to hang our clothes. So for the past few weeks, most of our clothes have been lying on the basement floor. We bought a closet organizer to install in the room that is right off our bedroom, but I soon encountered a problem with that. The only wall on which it could be installed was an exterior wall of the house and the concrete foundation was too close to the drywall to properly anchor the closet organizer to the wall, and I could not drill into the concrete in order to anchor it to that. The backup plan was to move the closet organizer to a different room in the basement. I started installing it there earlier this week, but I ran into the problem that the standards on which the shelves hang were too long for the height of the room. Tonight I remedied that situation by cutting the bottom few inches off some of the standards so it would fit. About half an hour ago, I finally got the closet organizer hung! Now let’s just hope there is room for my clothes once Mel has her clothes on it. Otherwise I may need to install additional organizers for my clothes.


Last night I got a couple other things accomplished that make the house nicer. The bathroom in the house had no towel bars in it whatsoever. It didn’t even have a toilet paper holder. I got both of those installed last night. Now there are a few other things to fix up with the bathroom, but that makes it nicer. Also I hung some shelving and a closet rod in the previously shelf- and rod-free closet in the living room. Now the closet just needs to have a door installed, but we will get to that sooner or later.

Besides showing off my handyman skills by using the drill and screwdriver as I have with these past tasks, I have also gotten the office area cleaned up a bit. There is still some clutter lying around the room, but it is becoming a much better work environment than it was a couple of weeks ago. Of course Mel has helped with this as well as she unpacked some of the boxes that had previously been stacked up in the office.

Hopefully we will soon get a lot of the boxes out of the garage so we can park our cars in it. Now that the closet organizer is up in the basement, we can get the clothes up which will allow us to proceed with adding additional shelving in the room for storage of some of the items we do not use as frequently as others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not visit Ikea and get a free standing closet? I cannot for the life of me think what they are called but then you dont' have to drill into walls for it and then if you want to move them, you can.

Damn, why can I not think of what they are called?

Later!
Anna

Anonymous said...

so apparently the only thing I do around the house is unpack a few boxes to make it more liveable... thanks... I feel so good now... piratemel