2.19.2008

Bad Roads?

I stayed home from work yesterday to work from home because of the poor road conditions were reported to be poor. I had hoped the roads would be better this morning, but the condition of I-380 between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City was still being reported as being poor, with travel not advised. However, I decided that I really needed to go to the office this morning, so at 7:00, I set out on my way.

My drive through town was just fine, although the condition of the roads wasn't all that good. The interstate was in pretty good condition until I got south of Highway 30. At that point, travel speeds were reduced to between five and ten miles per hour. By the time I passed the exit for the Eastern Iowa Airport, some fifteen minutes later, I was ready to turn around and head back home. However, when I reached the next exit speeds were increasing to around forty miles per hour, so I proceeded to the office in Iowa City.

I managed to get to work in a total of about seventy minutes, about twenty minutes longer than usual. Being in the office, it was easier to get work done, especially since I had to print several hundred test items to look at. I did still leave the office early this afternoon so I would be assured of getting home in time to pick Emma up from daycare.

No comments: