10.02.2006

Trip to Waterloo

Mel and I visited my mother last night in Waterloo. We drove up there because my mother had a few things she needed done in the house that she could not do on her own and I'm guessing that she's tired of having her brother-in-law come over whenever there is something that needs to be done. Basically, I just had to help her move a couple of dressers upstairs and remove a birds nest that was on the outside her condo. We had a nice visit and had a good dinner at Beck's in Waterloo.

Being in Waterloo for the evening made me think of some of the things that I like better about the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area better than about Cedar Rapids. Now when my family moved to Waterloo at the beginning of my senior year of high school, there was absolutely nothing positive that I could see in my new hometown, but having lived there for nearly two years recently, I discovered that the Cedar Valley has a lot to offer. One thing I miss is the restaurants. Oh sure, there are plenty of places to eat here in Cedar Rapids, but I miss a lot of the locally owned restaurants in Waterloo and Cedar Falls. I'm sure there are some really good locally owned restaurants here, but I just haven't found them yet. Also, the bike trail system in the Cedar Valley is fantastic. The trails in Cedar Rapids are adequate, but kind of boring. There just aren't that many paved trails here. Of course, there are things I like better about Cedar Rapids as well, but a lot of that is based on childhood memories from when I grew up here. Maybe we should just move someplace completely different. Las Vegas comes to mind.

(Just kidding Mel and Anna. I don't plan on moving anywhere anytime soon.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind the move the Vegas, but our parents would kill us and you know it. :):) I still like Cedar Falls/Waterloo area better. A lot more friendlier. Mel :)

Anonymous said...

Go to Thai Moon. Very very good. Trust me.

Oh, and Dad took me to the Butterfly Cafe when I was home. It's where the Pizza Hut used to be down my the Ghetto Vee. Very good homestyle cooking.

Later!
Ana

The Publican said...

Moved to Vegas for 2 years, promptly came back to Iowa as soon as my wife's degree from UNLV hit her hands. It's a fun town to live in and all but what I missed about Iowa and the Des Moines area in paticular was the people. In Vegas I think they took the people out of New York and L.A. who were to rude, and to bad of drivers and exiled them to Vegas. Trust me, stick here in Iowa.