10.31.2006

Trick or Treat

Today, of course, is Halloween. Being a nice guy, I had candy to give out to the trick-or-treaters who came by. Most of them were quite polite, saying "thank you" after I had given them some candy. There was one kid who wanted a specific kind of candy from the selection I was offering, so I let him take his own candy. Much to my astonishment, he took three pieces of candy! I thought that was pretty rude. Most of the trick-or-treaters seemed pretty young. There weren't too many teenagers who came to my house, not that I have any problem with teens trick-or-treating. What did amaze me though was the number of kids who just held out their bags, not even bothering to say, "Trick or treat."

Thirty-seven trick-or-treaters came by the house tonight. Being the math geek that I am, I kept track of when they all came by and created this histogram to show my data. Now I will have a record of the number of children who stopped by this year when I need to decide how much candy to get for next year's Halloween.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a dork. :)

My sister said that there were lots of older kids in her neighborhood. Half of them didn't even bother with costumes. And there was one kid, really young, on a cell phone while she was out trick or treating. She was not impressed with the kid's manners at all. She started out letting them take their own candy but quickly changed it to handing it out herself since they helped themselves to handfuls vs just a piece.

Obviously, Halloween is no different from anything else today....kid's are not getting taught or not being shown manners.

Later!
Ana