3.24.2006

Legislative Priorities

I'm disappointed in the Iowa Legislature. Today's newspaper lists some of the bills that are still eligible for debate this session. I really do not know where there priorities are when it comes to education. I would think that the goal regarding education should focus on improving student learning and achievement. After all, that is why students are supposedly in school. One education-related bill that is still alive in the legislature would change the school year start date. Currently the law allows schools to begin the school year during the week that contains September 1, although school districts can begin school earlier if they receive a waiver. Such requests have been approved to every district that has asked for them in the past. The bill that is being discussed would allow school years to begin as early as August 25, with no waivers granted. I believe there is an exception for year-round schools, but that would be the only exception. I do not see this bill having any impact on student learning. Instead, it seems to be promoted to help the Iowa tourism industry. What I don't get is that if the number of school days is a constant, starting school later would cause summer vacation to start later, which would then delay the beginning of the time when students can go on vacations.

One education bills that is now dead, which I feel could have an impact on student learning includes one that would have changed the school year in Iowa from 180 days to one based on hours of instruction. The school district I worked in the past two years had early dismissals for students every Wednesday. In taking away instructional time from students, teachers were supposed to have more professional development opportunities. I admit, we did benefit a little from this, but often times the time was wasted. Once a month, we spent the time in the auditorium finding out which staff members had a birthday that month. Each person with a birthday had to stand up and say something about themselves. I suppose that with a staff of over 100, this did help to build camaraderie among the staff (and the cake was good) but it really was a waste of time when most of us had actual work to do.

Another bill would have allowed four-year-olds to enter kindergarten under certain circumstances. I understand that not all four-year-olds are ready for kindergarten, but why would the state want to keep this option from those few students who may be ready. If the goal in education is to leave no child behind, why would the state want to leave some students behind in achieving their potential.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Interesting post. I agree with you on several points, but I disagree with the four year olds and kindergarten. Four years old is too young for public school. The standards and benchmarks that are in place for kindergarten rarely match the developmental need of regular kindergarteners and would not match the development level of four year olds. Four year olds need to have emotional and social development rather than the academic development that has so increased in the public schools. It might be happening in private schools too, but I only have PA private schools to compare it to.

Aaron said...

I'm sure you are right about four-year-olds as I have absolutely no experience working with them, but I wonder about a child who turns five on September 16 or shortly thereafter. Someone who misses the cutoff date that closely could possibly be ready for kindergarten. But I don't really know.