2.06.2005

House Shopping

This morning my girlfriend and I met a few friends in Cedar Rapids for lunch. Since we were going to be there, I thought that we should check out a few open houses in the area since we are planning on moving in that general direction. As I posted a couple of days ago, I will be starting a new job in Iowa City this June. I can get quite a bit more house for my money in Cedar Rapids than I could in Iowa City, and the drive isn't too bad. Now, if my girlfriend manages to find a job in Iowa City, then we would obviously move there, but she is also looking in Cedar Rapids.

We went to five open houses this afternoon. Three of them were homes that we could see ourselves living in, but we are still planning on checking out a few more. There is one in particular that I found online tonight that we would like to check out. One things that concerns me though is that the asking price of the house is less than its assessed value. While the city assessor's web site does not give the name of the deed holder, it does give the address, which for this property ended up being in Minneapolis. Doing a reverse address search online I discovered that there is a credit union that is at the address of the deed holder, although the suite number wasn't exactly the same. Perhaps the credit union foreclosed on the home and now they are trying to get what they can out of it. Anyway, we hope to check out the house soon.

Tomorrow I am going to call a real estate agent in Waterloo to see about getting my house listed. I just hope that it doesn't sell too soon, or if it does, that the buyers can wait to take possession until June, although we could move out sooner if necessary. Well, I have to get to work writing test items. I got an assignment a couple of weeks ago from the company for which I will be working beginning this summer. It wouldn't look good if I don't get my contract work done on time considering that I'll be an employee of theirs in a few months.

No comments: