1.03.2011

Tax Time

Since OfficeMax is having an 20% off sale this week for almost anything that fits into a shopping bag, I stopped there this afternoon to pick up this year's copy of TurboTax. As one would expect, we haven't received any W-2s nor any other tax documents yet, but they will be here soon enough. Normally I like to get out tax returns filed as soon as I possibly can in order to more quickly receive any refunds that are coming our way, but I heard today that because the IRS needs to update its software, they won't be able to process any returns that include Schedule A until mid February. In fact, I read that we can not even submit our tax return to the IRS until they say they are ready for it. If I really wanted to, I could file using the standard deduction right away and then file an amended return once they are ready for forms itemizing deductions, but that seems like a big hassle. I suppose our refunds will only be delayed by a few weeks, but I would still like to get them as soon as I possibly can.

No comments: