4.28.2010

Whose Cuisine Reigns Supreme?

As I mentioned in yesterday's blog entry, Monday night, after my colleagues and I arrived in Philadelphia for our meeting, we went to dinner at Morimoto, the restaurant of Iron Chef Japanese Masaharu Morimoto. In ordering dinner, I had to choose between ordering a specific item from the menu or omakase, in which the chef prepared a variety of dishes of his choice. Wanting to get the full experience, I had the omakase.

The first course of my dinner was hamachi tartare with fresh wasabi and osetra caviar.


The next course was whitefish carpaccio seared with hot olive and sesame oils, yuzu - citrus soy, finished with shiso, ginger, mitsuba, and chives.


 The third course was sashimi salad, mixed greens, yuzu vinaigrette, shaved bonito.


After the first three courses came the intermezzo, a palate cleanser, almond-spearmint soda.


Fourth came the first of the hot courses, black cod miso with su miso mustard.


The fifth course was pan seared duck breast and foie gras with port wine glazed ginger reduction.


Next came the chef's selection of sushi. I do not recall what they all were but one of them, the one shown on the top left, was tuna, and the sushi at the bottom right was octopus.


The dinner concluded with desert. For desert we were served chocolate strawberry bavaroise and white chocolate shiso mouse.


Each of these dishes was fantastic, and they were all very tasty! I have been trying to pick a favorite of the courses, but such a decision has proved to be impossible. Everything was so flavorful and delectable. I am not likely to return to Moromoto Restaurant any time in the future, so I will savor this visit.

1 comment:

mr. pineapple man said...

yum! everything looks delicio! not sure about the palette cleanser though...not a peppermint fan