4.13.2010

Cedar Rapids

Mel, the kids, and I spent this past weekend in Iowa. It was the fifth consecutive weekend I was in Iowa, and fortunately it will be the last for a while. The driving is getting to be a bit much, and travel with two kids under the age of four can be challenging. On this trip, we visited a friend and former coworker of Mel's, Penny. Spending time with Penny and her son really made Mel want to be living back in Cedar Rapids, preferably in a house across the street from Penny. I admit that, while I do like living in the Twin Cities, I would gladly move back to eastern Iowa if we had the opportunity.

While Mel didn't really care for Cedar Rapids all that much when we lived there, after moving to Minnesota, she attributes her dislike for the town mainly on the fact that she did not like her job. So, the main obstacle to moving back to Cedar Rapids would be Mel finding a job she thinks she'll like there which pays enough. One other thing standing in the way would be being able to sell our house in Minnesota.

I still enjoy the benefits that working from home full time has to offer, but I would not mind giving them up to return to the office in which I worked in Iowa City. That is one nice thing about keeping the job I had when we were living in Iowa. If we were to move back, or even somewhere else in the country, I would not need to find new employment.

I do not want to get the hopes up of any of my Iowa friends and family by making you think this blog posting is an indication that we will be returning to Iowa in the near future. It is possible that we could move back within a year, but it is also just as likely that we will stay where we currently are for many more years. Of course, if we do decide to make the move back to the City of Five Seasons, you will be able to read about it here.

No comments: