3.10.2010

A Functioning Dishwasher

If you have been a regular reader of my blog for the past year, you may recall that on April 10, 2009, I broke our dishwasher by tripping over the open door in the dark of the night. The dishwasher had never really worked too well, so we did not want to invest any money in repairing the door so that it wouldn't leak. Instead we simply stopped using the dishwasher, and washed dishes by hand since then. We had considered buying a new dishwasher but when I learned that the government would be having a rebate program for purchasing Energy Star appliances, I decided that we should hold off on buying a new dishwasher until we could get the rebate.

Last Monday the state of Minnesota opened up its appliance rebate program. The website and phone lines were both down for most of the day, but in the afternoon, I was finally able to get through on the website and register for a $150 dishwasher rebate. I consider myself to be pretty lucky as all the alloted rebate funds had been reserved by 9:00 the next morning. So Saturday, after attending a birthday party for one of our nephews, Mel and I bought a new GE dishwasher from the Sears appliance store in Woodbury. The salesman who worked with us, who from our conversation I gathered to be a high school senior, was very helpful and did a fantastic job. This afternoon the dishwasher was delivered and installed. We didn't bother to wash our lunch dishes today in anticipation of the dishwasher's arrival. I can not wait to get it fully loaded so we can give it a proper test run.

3 comments:

Qrystal said...

So what dishwasher did you get? (Yes, I'm actually making conversation about appliances, and yes, it's freaking me out a little bit.) I'm asking because our dishwasher hasn't worked in a few months, and its temporary replacement (me) is really starting to get annoyed with how hard it is to keep up with washing by hand.

Alas, no government incentives are helping the decision, but at least you reminded me to check before we bit the bullet! :)

Aaron said...

It's a GE GLD6904RWW Tall Tub Built-In Dishwasher - White. We haven't run it yet, so I can't say for sure how well it works.

Qrystal said...

Hah-- I forgot about discussing this with you, and I think I even forgot to take your choice into account when we made our choice of diswasher... but we ended up getting the GE GLD6904R10BB Tall Tub Built-In Dishwasher - Black :P

The reason I'm here now is because I'm trying to figure out when we bought it, so I can fill out the registration form that I just found in a pile... and so of course I searched Qrystal and dishwasher to see if twitter remembers me talking about it. I guess now I know it was after March 10th that we got it! :)

Har.