1.07.2007

Another Weekend Out of Town

For the third weekend in a row, Mel and I had to leave town. Two weekends ago it was for Christmas. Last weekend it was for a New Year's Eve party and to celebrate Christmas one last time for the season. This weekend, we went to Ames for the wedding of one of my cousins. This cousin of mine had been dating his girlfriend for about six years when they finally got engaged. I think his mother thought the day would never happen when he would propose. The wedding was very nice. When the dancing began at the wedding reception, they were playing a lot of older music at first. At one point, while the song "Brick House" was playing, I commented that they should play something more recent. I then sarcastically suggested that the DJ could play Justin Timberlake's "SexyBack." Much to the surprise of my sister, Mel, and myself, the next song to be played was indeed "SexyBack." We could not believe it. Was was even more interesting though was that as soon as "SexyBack" began being played, the dance floor pretty much cleared. There was a teenager or two who started dancing, but that was about it. I would have had no idea how to dance to that song.

This morning, Mel and I left our hotel in Ames to go to Des Moines. We had to pick up the changing table/dresser that we had ordered at Babies "R" Us in Clive when we were there last month. After getting home to Cedar Rapids, I had to have my friend Homercles come over to help us get it into the house. I hung the Winnie the Pooh wallpaper border that we purchased a few months ago. Now the baby's nursery is really beginning to come together. Perhaps I'll post a photo of the nursery to my blog some time in the future. The baby's due date is three months from yesterday. I am sure these final three months will go by faster than we will expect. I suppose we should enjoy our final days of freedom before the baby is born.

There is one thing that I did miss out on this weekend. Yesterday was the date of the wrestling tournament at Highland High School in Riverside, Iowa. I started helping out with the tournament in 2000, during the first year that I taught at Highland. Even after leaving Highland in 2002, I have returned to help out with the tournament. I have really enjoyed helping out and seeing some of the people I used to work with as well as some of my former students. I am not sure if I will help out next year. This year the students who I had as seventh graders in my last year teaching there are seniors, so next year, I will know none of the students. I may still help out though if I am not busy with other commitments, but I think I will probably be busy taking care of my child.

No comments: